Has your doctor recommended you take the duodenal switch weight loss surgery to manage your obesity? If yes, then you should know everything about this surgery including its side effects or recovery time. Doral Health and Wellness has an advanced bariatric clinic that offers laparoscopic surgeries in bariatrics including Gastric sleeve surgery, Gastric bypass surgery, and Sleeve gastrectomy.
Duodenal switch weight loss surgery is for those patients who are suffering from severe obesity when other treatment options such as diet and lifestyle plans fail to produce results. Compared to other surgeries you lose more weight in this one, but this is used only when you have morbid obesity and a related illness such as type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, or cardiovascular diseases. This surgery has a high chance of side effects like malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies. So, before having the surgery you should know all the necessary details about this surgery.
Log on to https://bariatricbrooklyn.com/ and get schedule your consultation.
This surgery is performed in 2 phases/steps:
- In the first step, the surgeon performs sleeve gastronomy in which they cut your abdomen by using the traditional method or laparoscopic method. After the cut, they remove 80% of your stomach and leave a smaller tube-shaped stomach. This tube-shaped stomach is like a banana. This reduction in stomach automatically allows you to consume less food as you feel full sooner. Even your ghrelin hormone (the appetite-craving hormone) produces less craving for food.
- In the second step, the surgeon performs a duodenal switch in which they cut the duodenum. This duodenum bypasses most of the small intestine by connecting the end portion of the duodenum near the stomach. The surgeon cut the duodenum and joined it on the top portion of the small intestine by bypassing the middle. This duodenum switching drastically affects the way the small intestine absorbs nutrients and vitamins because you can see a drastic reduction in the absorption of calories, nutrients, and vitamins. That is also the reason that you might develop malnutrition or vitamin deficiencies.
Difference from other types of bariatric surgeries
This surgery is different from other types of bariatric surgery due to 2 main reasons:
- It’s the last resort when the person has severe obesity with its related disease. It reduces more weight than other surgeries.
- Other bariatric surgeries are less risky and have low chances of developing side effects, but the duodenal switch is riskier as obesity also involves other conditions too and a high chance of developing side effects.
After the surgery, you might experience sudden weight loss in the first 6 months. At that time, you can experience these side effects:
- Body pain
- Feeling cold
- Dry skin
- Mood swings
- Hair loss
After 6 months or so, the chances of developing these conditions related to being overweight or happening during the time of operation are:
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol levels
- Type 2 diabetes
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease
- Sleep apnea
- Bleeding during operation
- Bowel and bladder dysfunction
- Blood clots in the lungs
- Low blood sugar levels
- Digestive problems
If you notice any symptoms of the above-mentioned conditions directly call your bariatric doctor.
- This bariatric surgery is most effective on weight loss and its long-term effects.
- This bariatric surgery reduces a sizable chunk of weight in the first 6 months as stomach size is reduced and the small intestine is not able to absorb calories, nutrients, and vitamins.
- It provides higher remission against diabetes. Even in some people, their diabetes is getting cured completely.
- As it produces long-term effects it is often cost-effective because you don’t have to buy prescription medicines, medical visits, or hospitalization costs.
Usually, after surgery, you must stay in the hospital for 2 to 5 days. After returning home, you must follow strict diet plans and need to take multivitamins and nutrient supplements to prevent malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies. It takes 2 to 4 weeks to recover completely after the surgery.
Duodenal switch weight loss surgery is amazingly effective against severe obesity and its related illness. While it is more beneficial than other bariatric surgeries it is also riskier too. This surgery has the most complex procedure and has the highest rate of postoperative complications and death rate. So, before taking this surgery, make sure you ask everything about this surgery.
Want to know more about weight loss surgery?
Call us at 1-347-384-5690 to schedule a consultation, or walk in for an appointment at 1797 Pitkin Avenue, Brooklyn, New York, 11212. We have trained and experienced bariatric surgeons who give the best surgery to their patients. Contact us now and book your appointment.