Obesity is one of the world’s biggest comorbidities. It is a condition associated with several health problems like high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, cancer, and many others. Obesity is caused by many factors like bad eating habits, lack of physical activities, genetics, and family history.
Unhealthy weight gain is the gateway to obesity. Gaining weight is frustrating especially if you don’t know what’s causing it. Although diet plays a significant role in weight gain, there are many factors that should be considered when gaining weight unhealthily.
· Hormonal Changes – A decrease in estrogen can cause unintentional weight gain in women.
· Processed Foods – When you consume too much-processed food, you consume too many unwanted calories which keeps you from feeling full thus making you eat more.
· Sugary Food – Candies, soda, chocolates, and ice cream are some examples of food with too much-added sugar. This doesn’t just make you gain unwanted weight but too much intake of these foods can lead to a more serious health conditions like developing diabetes and heart diseases.
· Inactive Lifestyle – Not getting enough body movement and exercise is a huge contributor to weight gain. Having an office job where it requires you to sit all day long and allows you too much screen time prevents you from any form of physical activity.
· Lack of Sleep – Not getting enough rest is also a factor in unhealthy weight gain. If you have difficulty in sleeping early at night, you may want to cut your screen time an hour before bed time to help you sleep better.
· Stressed out – Stress can also affect your weight. Stress makes you eat more as it increases your hunger and cravings.
· Underlying medical condition – You may lead a healthy eating habit, sleep well and exercise regularly yet still gain weight. Certain medical condition plays a huge role in unhealthy weight gain.
1. Hypothyroidism – this affects your thyroid gland, making you gain weight or gives you difficulty in losing weight
2. PCOS – polycystic ovarian syndrome is a hormonal imbalance affecting the women’s reproductive system
3. Mental illness – Depression, anxiety and other mental illness is also linked to weight gain and obesity
4. Eating Disorder – Uncontrollable eating leads to many health complications, including obesity
There are many factors contributing to unhealthy weight gain. Most of these are manageable through proper exercising, eating healthy diets and proper mindset. Though for some, following these simple tips frustrate them as they couldn’t get the results they want to achieve.
Managing your weight may pose a greater risk without the proper medical guidance. At Doral Health and Wellness, our medical practitioners are trained to help you achieve your goals and guide you on your journey to weight management. To talk to our team and book an appointment, kindly call us at 718-DORAL-55.