According to the Bariatric Nutrition Guidelines of 2022, following the 20/20 diet plan is recommended for the treatment of obesity and overweight people. And you need to follow this diet plan to prepare yourself if you need to undergo bariatric surgery to lose weight.
What is a 20/20 diet?
This 20/20 diet plan is a form of mindful eating, which means you need to enjoy the experience of the food you eat without judging. While eating turn off every distraction, only focus on what you are eating and how it looks, tastes and texture so that you experience eating like never before. It also helps you to generate maximum benefits from food.
4 phases of the 20/20 diet plan
- Phase 1: the 5 days boost phase – In this phase, you are allowed to eat 20 power foods that help to kickstart your weight loss journey. This phase you need to follow for 5 days and every 4 hours you need to eat (when you are awake). These are the 20 power foods you can consume:
- Coconut oil
- Green tea
- Dried plums
- Leafy greens
- Peanut butter
- Whey protein powder
- Olive oil
2. Phase 2: The 5 days sustaining phase- In this phase, you still need to eat 20 power foods but with at least 2 meals and snacks. You need to follow this phase for 5 days. This is the food you can include:
- Brown rice
3. Phase 3: the 20 days (about 3 weeks) attaining phase
In this phase, you are allowed to eat more food in your diet. But you need to avoid highly processed foods and foods that are high in simple carbohydrates. You might need to introduce two sensible splurges per day to avoid cravings and overeating. Sensible splurges mean the food you enjoy eating. However, you need to keep it under 100 calories a day.
The ideal foods you should introduce:
- Black beans
4. Phase 4: the Management phase
This phase helps to sustain your weight loss and lifestyle changes. You need to follow the same eating patterns as phase 3 while monitoring your weight regularly. You need to avoid emotional eating or avoid getting into a busy schedule that breaks your eating patterns and workout regimen.
If you gain weight, you need to start again from phase 1.
To make this diet more effective for your weight loss, you need to perform 2-3 hours of intense workout per week, a total of 5-7 hours per week during all the phases.
Foods to avoid
These are the foods you should avoid or consume at a very minimum:
Simple and refined carbs and sugars
- White bread
- Baked goods
- White pasta
- Raw vegetables and fruit. You can reintroduce most fruits and vegetables in the first 2 phases, and starchy vegetables and fruits in the 3rd and 4th phases.
- Processed foods
- French fries
- Sugary drinks
- Candy bars
- Most fruits juices
- Ice cream
The main goal is to avoid food that is high in calories and highly processed.
Besides weight loss, this diet plan has other benefits too:
- It helps you to control your cravings and overeating habits. You start consuming food in moderation
- While following this diet plan, you need to do intense workouts which motivates you to stick with this routine.
- Improve your focus when eating. You enjoy your meals and eat within limits. You don’t do emotional eating or eat while doing other things (that leads to overeating).
Following this diet plan is effective for weight loss, maintaining good health, enjoying what you eat, and limiting your eating.
Want a consultation for your weight loss journey? Call us on 718-DORAL-55. Call us now and get the best treatment that keeps you in amazing shape.